March 14, 2010

[PERSONAL]: Viva Las Vegas


photo courtesy Las Vegas Convention Center

Anyone who knows me knows that Las Vegas is not my kind of town, either aesthetically or culturally. Granted I have never given myself much of a chance to get to know it and my recent trip there really didn't give me chance to see anything besides the MGM Grand. I was literally in the hotel for five days straight never having a chance to breathe fresh air, or feel the warmth of the sun on my skin.

No, I wasn't on a gambling roll, in fact this gal doesn't gamble. I never went near a roulette table, or even a 25 cent slot machine. I was in town for the annual WPPI Conference and Trade Show, the biggest show of its kind in the nation for wedding and portrait photographers.

As a Los Angeles maternity and child photographer I mostly work on my own, as do most other photographers in the industry. This can be quite isolating, so the conference is a great way to bring this fragmented industry together. One of the funny things is that on my first day there, I met another Los Angeles photographer and she was not just from any part of Los Angeles, turns out she's my neighbor living on the next street and we wouldn't have met had it not been for the conference.

Besides my neighbor I met some great photographers from all around the country, from New York, Kansas City, Chicago, Seattle and everywhere in between. So, while it can be isolating, it's nice to belong to a community, albeit virtual. The other great thing was seeing the new products.

So, be on the look out for new products I will be introducing and new programs I will be launching. But first thing on my list of to-dos is another web redesign targeted for April 2010 and a web-redesign targeted for May 2010... I thought I'd put it out there so that I am accountable to get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails